11/08/2004

About Language, again. and Beijingnese

Ok, I have a lot to learn about English, which is very true. Meanwhile, lacking of Chinese reading made my Chinese writing worse. Will I end up not being able to handle both languages?
Probably not. The only thing that is improving is the speed of my Chinese speaking. I got it improved by argueing/chatting with Eddie the Beijingnese. Eddie speaks Chinese faster than I am and speaks English faster than I am; however, he's not going to take the lead, coz I read both Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese faster than he is. (Let's not talk about English reading here, that will just embarrass both of us...) He asked me to read him articles written in Simplified Chinese for him, and I would respond with "I thought they teach Simplified Chinese in China."
Eddie told me that because English is not our mother tongue, we tend to imitate how other people speak English, and we won't be able to show our true personality. In my opinion, yes and no. It is true that it's more difficult to show my personality while speaking in English, but this happens to me even when I talk to people whom I meet for the first time, no matter he/she speaks Chinese or English. So, I would say it is about personality more than language ability.
But the part of mimicing how other people speak English, it is very true because I have been doing that all the time. That might be the reason why I feel "pissed off" is stronger than "upset."

No comments: